Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How was Uganda?

I realize I've been a horrible blogger (for, what a year now?) :).  My friend Tonya had told me before we ever left that I needed to write her a report (to get her amazing pictures) after I got back.  Not really for her, but for me to process the trip and all the things God was trying to teach me, or show me in His word. She's done this now 6 times and it always helps her.  But I kept putting it off, 'officially.'  I re-read days of my journal every day during my quiet to.  So I won't forget.  So I will always remember the feelings I had there.  And I'm still dealing with them today.  So, I sat down with my journal last time to type up what I wanted to share with her.  I can't share all of it here, as some of what I experienced is Kirabo Seeds, and not mine to share.  But, the processing was good.  And as I read a blog today for a friend, I realized sharing my story is good.  Not worrying about what others think, but instead hoping someone takes a piece of my Jesus story and it helps them.  So, since it was 5 pages, I will post a bit each day for the next few days.  So, here goes Misty's journey to Uganda, part 1!  **Updated with pictures.**

I'm just going to post them here.  
Woman carrying her heavy load.
 Kids looking in trash for food, stuff to sell.
 George getting food at the local produce market.  Farmers markets everywhere! :)

My first day there we went to the Friday market.  It's once a week and it's basically a wholesale market where you can purchase ANYTHING.  Their artwork is amazing and you all know I love the beads!  
 Here is another shot of the market. 
 And more 'shops' in the market.
 a little traffic on what looks like Entebbe Road. 

Well that is one long journey that I don’t think you have the time to read about ;).  But I will start with our adoption journey.  We began praying and seeking and feeling led to adopt in March 2011.  By June we were well under way with paperwork, and at that point our agency mentioned a 12-18 month time frame.  We completed our homestudy that summer and thought we might, just maybe, travel in spring or summer 2012 to meet our son.  We were put on the referral waiting list on 12/19/11 and were told it was now about a 6 month wait time for a referral.  As the weeks passed, I knew it wasn’t going to be this year.  A month after we had been put on the wait list we received word that with all the slow downs, that we were looking at more like a 12 month wait for the referral.  My heart sank, but God never let go of it.  And He kept whispering to go this year.  It never quieted, it only grew.  So I contacted you (Tonya) in February and threw myself into this trip.  God continued to provide and as I think back on my preparations and planning, I remember writing, “But God keeps whispering GO, so I will.  I trust His lead and I think He’s calling me there before our adoption to truly fall in love with the country and the people.  To break my heart for the orphan crisis there, something that’s easy to see on blogs and in photos, but will be a completely different and difficult thing in person.”   He was there in the little things and the big things.  We made just enough through my side job (before I quit it after I got back) to pay for the airfare.  Then when we met in late February and you (Tonya) said you wanted us to focus in Ephesians, I just knew God was with me.  I had been studying Ephesians for 6 months (plus it is one of my all time favorite books)! 

As time went on, things were busy.  We were finishing up our first year homeschooling, Eric was finishing his year, his little sister was graduating high school, and we had family obligations and work.  I remember journaling in early June that I felt I hadn’t committed enough time in the word before my trip.  Again, God just kept calling me back and the month before I left was one of the closest times in my life that I felt to God.  I was not anxious or worried leading up to my travel there alone.  I actually knew ahead of time that I would not get sick.  My friends had prayed over me and I felt God had already given me confirmation that I would not get physically sick, that I would need my physical strength to do battle over there, and I’m so glad!  And He of course was trustworthy.  My prayer as I was drawing closer to traveling were mostly to protect me and my family as we were apart, for guidance for me to scripture and stories that would captivate the children’s hearts for God, and to make clear the path for what God has for our family in Uganda.  But in listening to Him, He kept reminding me of my 3 children, that I am first called to teach and disciple them, which was a beautiful breath of life for me as well.  What was wonderful was the continued whispers from my savior.  I KNEW I was in God’s will, but I felt like I hadn’t quieted myself enough to really listen for Him.  But once I did, boy did He speak! 

Once in Uganda, the first morning I awoke one of my prayers I journaled was “Help us be quiet enough to hear your Spirit leading and guiding us.  Lord quiet my heart please.”  He immediately led me to Isaiah 26:3-4 and Psalm 56:3 and reminded me that He is trustworthy!  I prayed each morning for a heart-altering day, not just for me but for each person I met.  That He would become more so I could become less.  And Eph 6:19: “and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel.”  Which sent me to 1 John 4: God is LOVE!  He reminded me to love everyone I came in contact with that day well.  Because that might be their only encounter with God’s love.  Psalm 25:5 struck me that first night, again God was teaching me about His truth, that we have to seek it and wait for it (because we are so easily led astray!)............

Bookmark and Share

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

Julie P. said...

I've been patiently waiting for your Uganda stories! So excited to keep reading!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin