Monday, June 20, 2011

My big girl turns 5 today!

Eric and I had a date night last night (thanks to my mom spending the night) and went to dinner.  We were talking about how 5 years ago tonight I was in the hospital to start my induction with Cara.  I've been thinking over the past few weeks how different my philosophy on parenting, raising girls vs. boys, treating children with respect (yes, they learn to do it from somewhere!), etc has changed so greatly in just 5 years.  How I thought when she was VERY young how hard it was and that it would be so much easier when she wasn't a baby anymore.  I remember crying like a baby the day my mom left after a week of staying and helping with her.  Then, when Micah was 3 days old and Cara went to preschool, Eric and I looked at each other and thought, "why were we ever upset when Cara was a baby, the newborn phase is one of the easiest!" (minus the sleep deprivation). Then I thought, when I was breastfeeding and making all her food, and let her cry it out and she was sleeping through the night, that I had it all figured out.  Boy was I ever wrong.  I can give tips and tricks all day long, but in the end, the thing I have to stay focused on is living in the Spirit.  All day long.  And that's hard.  But this little silly princess makes it a lot easier sometimes.....



My girl is such a 'little mommy' and we (Eric, me, all our friends) comment on it.  She likes to take care of things.  She has a baby, a dolly, a daughter, a couple bears, a pillow pet unicorn and 2 daughter unicorns, a Shamu and others that sleep in her bed (mostly at the foot) all night.  She arranges them just so, then covers them up with some old baby blankets.  She likes playing "mommy and daddy" or "Brother and sister" (did you know that was a game!) haha.  She likes to help me when Micah or Anna is fussy.  She also likes our 'secret special' times when the little ones are napping, as she's grown out of that for the most part.  Though there are those treasured days when I can get a nap out of all 3 at once :).  
(silly girl eating a cupcake for Eric's birthday last week)
She still loves princesses.  She told me the day after her Cinderella 4th birthday party last year that when she turned 5 she wanted to have an Ariel party. She didn't change her mind all year, so we did it up big.  We have always had parties at home, but we figured we'd do a big party this year, and she knew exactly what she wanted (a bowling Ariel party).  We went to Times Square and she had a blast.  I have to give props to my best bud Val who came over until way too late helping me make the icing and ice the Ariel cake and cupcakes.  That's a friend for you.  Also to my mother in law who made the cute party favor boxes, and my sis who made the cupcake toppers.  I did print the labels ;)  And do the invitations.  And bake the cakes.  Yes, 2, the first one didn't come out! :).  

Playing with some of our best friend's kids.  They might as well be brothers and sisters!
Trying to soothe Anna, she was fussy....obviously!! :)

I just love this sweet girl.  Today, Eric, my mom and I are taking all 3 to Splashway Waterpark.  We got half price tickets on Juice In The City last month and she is beyond thrilled that we get to go somewhere on her actual birthday.  She's been telling people all day Saturday and Sunday that she had her party but she is still 4 until Monday.  That's when she turns 5 and then she's going to the water park. Love my sweetness.    We'll post more birthday party pictures later.

Our Mother's Day tea at preschool

Cara--we pray blessings over you each and every year!  We are blessed to be your earthly parents, and we love the joy and grace you've learned from your heavenly Father so far.  We are looking forward to the day when we can call you 'sister' in the faith.  You have such a sweet spirit, and love unconditionally.  We pray Psalm 28:7 over you today, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him" 
We can't wait to make you a big sister again!  You are so beautiful and special.
Love, Mommy & Daddy
Bookmark and Share

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin