Monday, November 23, 2009

Good Word

My friend Meredith always says that, when she thinks I say something useful :), which probably isn't often, ha!  Anyways, we're accountability partners, and for going so strong a few months ago, I just have let up in my digging into God's word.  Sleep has gotten the better of me, and when I should be reading and meditating on God's word, I end up sewing, or knitting or cleaning.  Not bad things, unless I am not focused on my priorities.  Anyways, I've been reading through a few Psalms lately to get back in the swing of things, and wanted to say how blessed I've been.  I read Psalms 18 last Monday as I was preparing for a hard week.  My best friend died 10 years ago in the A&M bonfire tragedy, and we were heading to remember her with her family and friend up in College Station on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Sunday I got the call that her mom's brother, her Uncle Alan, had passed away from a heart attack.  My heart was so sad for this family, and the timing of these events!  But, Monday morning as I was reading through Psalm 18, I was reminded how the

"Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

He is always there when we need Him, even if we can't feel him comforting us.  And I bet you can guess one of the passages of scripture that was read at the funeral on Thursday.  I love it when God reminds me over and over how aware He is of ME and my life.

This morning I was reading through Psalm 19 and two things spoke to me (don't get me wrong, the whole chapter is good!):

Verse 1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."

Verse 14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."

The first helps to remind me that God is in every thing he made, how beautiful our world is!! 

Now confession time, I prayed verse 14 over my day today.  I have lots to do before we go out of town on Wednesday, but I wanted today to be a day of prayer and  living well!  Well, before the kids even woke up, I called the post office to find out where a package I mailed 6 days ago could possibly be.  After finding out what I feared, that it had been handled wrong, I took my frustration out of the lady on the phone and hung up.  UGH.  How can I pray one minute and act like that the next.  I have been practicing patience and getting much better at it, but in that moment, I just did what I wanted, didn't even stop to think.  And even worse, she doesn't know me, she was just answering the phones.  She didn't take part in my mistake.  So today, I will continue to pray that prayer, as well as confess my falling short!  God, be near me today and let me be a ray of light in this dark world, not a frustrated mom taking her feelings out of anyone!




Bookmark and Share








Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

Christi Brown said...

If it makes you feel any better at all, I had a similar story with someone on the phone. I even went as far as to say " I know it is not your fault but you answered the phone so you have to deal with it." As she tried to make me happy because I was so mad the Holy Spirit convicted me and I had to apologize right then and there to her. I explained that I was a Christian and that was not the way that God wanted me to treat others. She said it was all ok and I am sure she thought I was a freak! Who knows her situation, only God. But I totally grew from that experience. Not to say that I still don't make mistakes occasionally!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin